5 Common Health Myths Debunked

Hi everyone! It’s the first week of the brand new year so I thought I will whip up some truth about some common myths about health. Hope it helps!

1) Exercise to lose weight

Losing weight is not an easy task. Even losing 2kg for me takes at least 6 weeks. Putting it on? Extremely easy! We all have certain set of goals that we would like to achieve. However, if you want to lose weight, exercise is not really the way to go. Remember, losing weight is about 90% diet and 10% exercise.

Planning your diet is easy but executing the plan is extremely difficult. Start by cutting down all the sugars in your life, the snacks, biscuits and ice-cream. Eat the heaviest meal of your day in the morning, smaller meal for lunch and the tiniest for dinner.

Understand your numbers. Nasi lemak 650kcal. Laksa curry 600kcal. Fried noodles 500kcal. And all these are for your school canteen portion -not your typical full size bowl. And female has a recommended 2000kcal/day only. So, if you want to lose that weight, you should cut down to 1600kcal per day -that’s like 2 bowls of laksa and you’re done! For the rest of the day you just chucked on the water. Ouchh!

In order to burn off that laksa, you need to run for 45 minutes. Now, you do the math.

Of course exercise is good. Do it anyway. But if your goal is to lose weight, look after your food first πŸ˜‰ You’re afterall what you eat, no? πŸ˜‹

2) Fruit juices are nutritious.

A lot of people fall for this. I was one of them too. Fancy advertisements, beautiful models and some nutrition facts lead me to dump my diet soda and get myself some green juice. Which kinda make me a hippy but once I did the math -I can’t be more shocked.

For example this. Organic orange juice. πŸ’― percent juice. Fantastic. 110kcal. Fantastic. 0% fat. Fantastic. Carbohydrate 26g (9%) of which 22g is made of sugar!! Diabetes!!

And the most shocking bit is that all these numbers are per serving ie. for each 240mls only (half of your coke bottle), not the entire 1L!

Just for convenience, let compare it with a can of coke.

Can you see what I see? 😡😡😡 FYI 4g sugar is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar.

Ok ok. Of course coke and fizzy drinks have other chemical ingredients that make them fizzy, ‘refreshing’ and have a longer shelf-life. In that regards, fresh juices certainly win!

If your next question is -then what should I drink, Sophia? Simple. Water. Just water.

3) Sweetener is a healthy fix to your sweet cravings.

We love sugar. We want sugar. But sweetener? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Now lets get this one out of the way. Sweetener does not cause cancer. Next! Can you believe that sweetener can be 2000x more sweet than actual sugar? Yet it has zero sugar and zero calorie? So how can it be not healthy??

Surprisingly, plenty of research have shown that those who take sweeteners are more likely to increase their waist circumference. There are some stipulation about insulin resistance but it is known for fact that sweeteners do not cause diabetes. However, those who take sweeteners tend to be less vigilant with their food intake as they have consumed the zero calorie pill. Little did they know, they underestimated their calculation and added each pile onto their waist line. Now, sweeteners have some fundamental natural ingredients but they make the bottom of the list. Remember, sweetener is artificial hence made by many chemical molecules to give the taste and texture you are accustomed to. When these are consumed, your liver recognised it as chemicals and becomes very busy at detoxifying them. Which means, it has less time doing other more meaningful chores such as secreting bile onto our intestines to break down fat, synthesise protein and hormone production.

I am not saying it’s completely rubbish. Just do it in moderation okay? πŸ˜‰

Psst. Here are some tips. Some sweeteners have high potassium in them. If you see a drink has zero/low calorie but still sweet, look at the nutritional content. I bet you the potassium is high! (such as item #2)😬

4) Collagen food & drinks

How many times have you heard somebody saying that collagen food is the epitome of youth? Let me break it you -it is not.

Collagen, like a lot of other protein food you take, is made of small amino acids. Once they are re-absorbed they will be re-purposed in several different ways in different organs. And of course, this would also includes your skin repair and skin rejuvenation. Hence people always say, omg, my skin looks youthful now. Little do they know, it comes from the chicken they ate πŸ˜‚

Collagen is essentially important for our skin elasticity and as we age, we lose about 1.5% of collagen per year. Hence the production of wrinkles. Unfortunately many people misunderstood that the collagen food or drinks they consumed will transfer as collagen on their skin. Which is not true. As a matter of fact, it will be broken down onto its most basic absorbable molecule which is amino acids. This will then be re-distributed to all over our body. Meaning that, you can eat egg, meat, fish and would still have amino acids which will do skin repair anyway. You don’t need an expensive magic ‘collagen’ drink to do that for you.

Plus, we often lose sight of the most basic things. Such as sleep early, drink more water, sunscreen -these are far more effective in restoring your facial collagen that any magic drink would.

5) Lactose intolerance

What is lactose? What is intolerance?

So lactose is a type of sugar. And intolerance means hypersensitivity, not allergy, which commonly manifests itself as gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, diarrhoea, abdominal pain etc).

Now that you know what these mean, can you tell me how many people actually have the said symptoms due to sugar? A lot of people proclaimed that they are lactose intolerant but really, they have no clue what lactose really is.

Lactose is a type of sugar found in the cow’s milk and made up 2% of its formulation. Guess what is the rest 98% are? Amino acids πŸ˜‚ So, if you take a cow’s milk -will you be more likely to be sensitive to the 98% of the ingredients or to the remaining 2% of the ingredients? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ Lactose intolerance exist but actually not as common as you think it is. If milk gives you tummy upset, it is most likely the milk protein itself not the sugar/lactose.

Okay guys, I hope this helps and I am always quite enthusiastic about knowing my food contents. So if you have anything you’re not sure about, please let me know and I am more than happy to help out. May 2018 be kind to both you and me! πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½πŸ™πŸ½

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s